Steph

Playlist

“relaxed, plus a bit of dance music”

The Port vibe is…

“upbeat”

Opened

No. of employees

Making the connection

Red Lime Shack’s owner Steph was living in Melbourne when she discovered Semaphore and decided to move to Adelaide.

However, after arriving and walking around Port Adelaide, she knew where she really wanted to be. “I thought ‘wow, this place is amazing’… it was just one of the world’s best kept secrets,” says Steph.

When Steph began renovating the café space, she kept the doors open and invited the locals – many of them had never been inside the old building – to see what was going on.

Says Steph, “We had half the community helping us build it. People I’d never even met before were helping me chip away at the tiles and do the walls and paint the floors. I’d never experienced that anywhere. People just wanted to get involved.”

The area’s strong sense of community was exactly what Steph was looking for, as was the chance to set up business on her own terms. And that it may well lead to more than just the revitalisation of an historic suburb.

“There’s a real opportunity to come in [and] do what you want to do… We’re the people at the beginning… building the vibe.”

With her endless energy and entrepreneurial nature, Steph was the perfect fit when Renewal SA put out a call for tenders to set up and coordinate the Wild At Hart market.

Held every Sunday at Hart’s Mill, Wild At Hart has a quality food focus with organic, local and direct from the producer being the key points. Steph is adamant that good food is the priority. She hopes to add fresh seafood vendors on the pontoon – a logical extension given the market’s beautiful and unique setting on the river.

Wild At Hart has almost 5000 ‘likes’ on Facebook and it’s becoming known outside the local area. Soon, Steph plans to spread out a little further toward Mundy Street as well as adding Saturdays to the mix.

Visit the market and you get a sense that, like Steph’s café, this is a new focal point for the district. Locals linger for hours to shop, eat, listen to buskers and catch up with friends.

Wild At Hart’s uniqueness is something Steph works hard to preserve. “I think if you put a niche business anywhere, you’ll draw people,” she says.

But she doesn’t take all the credit. “This is the most successful business I’ve had… There’s definitely something about Port Adelaide – I’ve had cafés in three different states and lots of different suburbs – and this suburb stands out… They care about what Making the connection you do and it’s real.”