Special notice: No bookings
In light of the Federal Government’s advice that non-essential indoor gatherings of more than 100 people are now banned in response to COVID-19, no bookings of the Flour Shed or Packing Shed will be taken until further notice.
Please revisit this page for further updates as official health advice continues to change.
The Flour Shed, Hart’s Mill, Mundy Street
Suitable for community events, including music, cinema, exhibitions, conferences, theatre performances and concerts.
Size and capacity
- Main venue space: Floor size approximately 814m2 with ceiling height to 5m.
- Maximum number of attendees is 400.
- Larger-scale events (up to 850 people) are possible, with special conditions (see below).
- Mezzanine can hold up to 30 people at any one time with no additional furniture or equipment.
- Large venue space.
- Mezzanine, with the exception of the sectioned-off area which is off-limits.
- Mural artwork on southern internal wall.
- Back of house area.
- Basic kitchen facilities, including electric oven, cooktop and refrigerator. No cutlery, crockery or other items are provided.
- Disability-friendly access to ground floor venue and toilets. Disabled access through front doors only.
- Male and female toilet facilities. No toilet paper or soap are provided.
- Cleaner’s closet with mop, bucket and broom. No cleaning products are provided.
- Due to weight loading restrictions, no suspension from the ceiling, nor any of the structural supports are allowed. All rigging must be free-standing.
- Due to weight loading issues, no one is allowed to access the sectioned-off service area on the mezzanine level.
- Doors, windows and openings may need to remain closed during events to minimise noise emissions from buildings, and to meet noise requirements (see noise restrictions below).
- No pets inside the venue.
- All waste must be removed from the site by the hirer.
- No toilet paper, soap or cleaning products are provided.
- No cutlery, crockery or other items are provided.
- No cooking is allowed in the Flour Shed as there are no extraction fans. Any smoke from cooking etc. will set off the fire alarms.
- Cars must not be driven into the Flour Shed.
Noise levels emitted from the building should not exceed 8dB above the level of background noise (L90,15 min) in any octave band of the sound spectrum and should not exceed 5dB (A) above the level of background noise (LA90, 15 min) for the overall (sum of all octave bands) A-weighted levels, when measured and adjusted according to the Environmental Protection (Noise) Policy 2007.
During large events or performances within the facility, including the use of amplified music, the doors to the venue may need to remain closed to meet the noise requirements (except for limited periods to meet operational requirements such as the delivery of catering supplies or the like).
It is expected that event hirers will leave the Flour Shed in an acceptable condition and that all waste, decorations, spillages and odours will be removed.
A $200 cleaning fee will be charged to all hirers for a standard-level, professional clean of the venue unless the event hirer can demonstrate that they have engaged a professional cleaning service for this purpose.
If the venue requires cleaning beyond a standard-level cleaning service, the cost of this will be invoiced to the event hirer.
For major events and/or events that utilise additional (outdoor) space at Hart’s Mill, the cleaning arrangement will be negotiated with Renewal SA. The event hirer will be required to demonstrate that they have engaged a professional cleaning service.
Larger-scale events (up to 850 people) in the Flour Shed
The Flour Shed’s maximum occupancy is 850 people when the large roller door on the south-eastern wall (facing Mundy Street) is secured open at a minimum height of 2m for the duration of an event.
This height is adequate for safety purposes; however, it is recommended that the roller door is opened further to increase ventilation and air-flow.
To increase the capacity of the Flour Shed from 400 to 850 people, additional toilets will need to be hired.
Based on the assumption that your event would be attended by a maximum of 425 males and 425 females, the following is an estimate of the minimum number of toilets you would require for the comfort of patrons:
- 3 pans (1 additional pan required)
- 7 urinals (5 additional urinals required)
- 4 washbasins (3 additional washbasins required).
- 8 pans (3 additional pans required)
- 4 washbasins (1 additional washbasin required).
- Mezzanine can hold up to 30 people at any one time with no additional furniture or equipment. People may take only what they can carry with them up the stairs.
- Due to weight loading issues, no one is allowed to access the sectioned-off service area on the mezzanine level. This area is not available for use under any circumstances.
- Temporary exit signage will be required at the roller door.
- Security staff should be positioned at all exits (including the roller door) to ensure that egress is not blocked at any stage.
- Flour Shed ground floor area: approximately 30.95m x 26.3m
- Mezzanine area (above toilets): approximately 50m2.
Click the image to view it in a larger size.