That’s right folks, this year the Santos Tour Down Under is beginning Stage 1 right here in the Port! Showcasing the best of our beautiful corner of the state to the rest of the world.
The cyclists will ride north along the Port River Expressway and out to the Barossa, taking in scenic views of pastures and vineyards on their way to the finish arch in Lyndoch. Visit the TDU website for more information about Stage 1.
Other than athletes in lyrca on two wheels, what can you expect on the day? Well, the answer is, there’s plenty! Before, during and after the big race.
- Meet the Riders at Commercial Rd North – see all your favorite team members
- Port Adelaide streets will be decorated with colourful flags made by local schools and community groups
- Spot all the old painted bikes dotted around the Port
- See the Port River is alive with over 60 yachts from the local yacht club
- Gather for Peloton at the Port street party, with food vans, chalk art, quench bench, photo booth and entertainment from The Timbers, Artbabes and Exeter Blues
- Parking is available at Harts Mill, Port Canal Shopping Centre, SA Aviation Museum, TAFE and Port Adelaide Reserve.
- Drop into the Visitors Information Centre, the hub of tourism in the area for information on what’s happening in Port Adelaide, and where to find some of the most unique tourism offerings in Australia, right here in Port Adelaide.
EAT AND DRINK
- Michone Champagne Breakfast– 229 St Vincent Street. Enjoy a French Champagne, barista coffee, Orange Juice and a continental breakfast platter of cheeses, meats and pastries for $30pp before watching Stage 1 depart from the Port at 11am. Booking and deposits essential, please email [email protected]
- British Hotel Port Adelaide– 13 Nother Parade. View the race from the balcony while enjoying a fantastic food and beverage package for just $60. Tim Giniver and Wayne Philips co-hosting, 36er’s players and Ninja Luke from season one of Ninja Warrior to rub shoulders with! Wowfm 100.5 broadcasting live. Raffles and auctions with proceeds going to the Leukemia Foundation.
- Tour De Port Anchor at the Port Anchor Hotel- 15 Church Place. Breakfast served from 8.30am. $14.90 Express Breakfast. Bookings necessary.
- The Lighthouse Wharf Hotel have a mobile coffee cart and breakfast with Mayfair Bakery goods, from 7.30am, then lunch from 11.30am. They are also running a competition to win a road bike, with an entry for every four pints super dry bought, and winner will be announced on the day at midday.
- Enjoy breakfast from one our hotels and cafes. A huge range of food will be served from Mexican breakfast, Smashed Avocado, Eggs and Bacon and everyone staple coffee! Open from 7/7.30am
AFTER THE RACE
- Stick around and enjoy the Port’s hospitality lots of delicious cafes and hotels ready to treat you with a diverse range of menus.
- The museums will be open for young and old. The National Railway Museum, SA Maritime Museum and the SA Aviation Museum will entertain you for hours.
- Wander the streets, download the free Living Port App and see the before and after pictures of the Port’s beautiful historical buildings.
- Get arty at the galleries. Black Diamond Gallery is showing the exhibition “Colour Wheel” Check out the stunning handmade glass at the newly opened Yo Dan on Robe St. Jackalope on Carlton st is always a delight with their many treasures and stunning courtyard garden.
- Climb aboard the tall ship, the One and All. Walk the decks, be at the ship’s helm, venture into the galley and saloon. This handcrafted ship will tell you the stories of yesteryear.
- The City of Adelaide Clipper Ship will be doing tours. Have a look through the world’s oldest surviving Clipper Ship and played a significant role in the colonial history of South Australia.
- The Port Emporium is one of the coolest, grooviest place to shop. Art, antiques and retro items are all available.
- Visitor Information Centre will be open to help with maps, things to do and see. Commercial Rd,
- Hart’s Mill has a fun playground with a flying fox and picnic and BBQ facilities. Great place to watch the dolphins.
- Free shuttle buses will run every 10 minutes from 8.00am to 1.00pm stopping at Port Adelaide Railway Station, SA Aviation Museum and Quebec Street