Hart’s Mill is a prominent landmark in Port Adelaide’s history and the precinct is now evolving into an energetic community hub.
We appointed South Australian company, Aspect Studios to prepare a concept design that would incorporate the vision for Hart’s Mill in a usable landscape, to become a destination for locals and visitors to enjoy, while getting up close and personal with the water, the loop path and the historic buildings.
The finished playground was opened in May 2014 and features a design based on the industrial heritage of the site. Incorporating milling themes into the play equipment and the site surrounds, the playground tells the story of the Adelaide Milling Company buildings in an interactive and exploratory manner.
The building surrounds landscaping project, also opened in May 2014, and includes space for an open-air market and public events as well as community amenities such as an expanse of lawn, seating, shade, BBQ area and car parking. This space is home to the weekly Wild at Hart markets and has also hosted community events like Pictures at Our Port, an outdoor cinema series held in December 2014. The market space was also included in the 2015 Wonderwalls Festival and is a temporary home to three murals painted during this festival.
The revitalisation of Hart’s Mill Surrounds received a string of major accolades:
- Planning Institute of Australia – Australia Award for Urban Design, Small Scale category
- Australian Institute of Architects – SA Architecture Awards, David Saunders Award for Heritage
- Australian Institute of Architects – SA Architecture Awards, Urban Design category
- Australian Institute of Landscape Architecture – SA Landscape Architecture Award of Excellence, Design category
- Good Design Australia – Good Design Awards, Architectural Design: Urban Design and Public Spaces category
- Parks and Leisure Australia (SA/NT) – Award of Excellence, Major Playspace (+0.5mil) category
- Kidsafe – National Playspace Design Awards, Highly Commended Award