The Visitor Information Centre in Port Adelaide is a well-loved landmark building on Black Diamond Square, at the corner of Commercial Road and St Vincent Street, which has undergone vital heritage restoration work.
An 1860 heritage-listed building referred to as the Black Diamond Centre which originally housed the Customs Office, Courts, Police Station and Gaol cells, it was the third Customs House in Port Adelaide. On the outside, it has changed very little since it was built in 1860, though the original slate roof has since been replaced with iron and a central dome removed. The Governor, Sir Eric Neale, officially opened the building as the Port Adelaide Visitor Information Centre on 9 November 1997.
Upgrades to the exterior of the building were carefully carried out on behalf of Renewal SA and City of Port Adelaide Enfield by Heritage Stone Restorations, a national award-winning company specialising in the conservation and restoration of historic buildings and monuments. Through painting and masonry repairs, using the most appropriate conservation materials and techniques, they have helped restore this significant building to its former glory.