FCTA – Building Careers in partnership with Renewal SA’s Works Program have developed a one-day workshop to help current or future owners of heritage properties with their restoration planning.
Adelaide and its surrounding suburbs such as Bowden, Brompton and Port Adelaide are blessed with a variety of heritage-protected character homes. Owning a piece of South Australian building history also comes with a responsibility to conserve this heritage.
If you are planning on restoring a heritage property, this workshop is designed for you.
The workshop will include a walking tour of the former Bowden Gasworks site—highlighting key heritage buildings to best explain technical terminology and the principles of heritage conservation that you may encounter during your own restoration.
Lunch will be provided. Please advise of any dietary requirements when you register.
What to wear
Enclosed footwear is required for the walking tour. Sunscreen, a hat and a water bottle are also recommended.
What you’ll learn
The workshop will be delivered by a qualified tradesman and trainer with experience working on heritage buildings in both the United Kingdom and South Australia.
This workshop will cover:
- understanding the cause of common issues that occur in older homes
- the types of materials that should and shouldn’t be used
- what questions to ask tradespeople about the scope of works and their licenses
- what to request tradespeople to include in their quotes
- understanding the principles of heritage conservation from the Burra Charter
- the importance and benefits of regular maintenance
- how to best work with your local council while planning your renovation.
Do not attend if you are unwell or have cough/cold symptoms. Please note all participants will be required to check in.
Register to attend the information session as places are limited.
Email your name and contact number to Anne Howarth by Wednesday 5 May 2021 or alternatively, you can call to register.
Phone: 08 8367 5615
Preference will be given to western Adelaide residents.
When and where
Saturday 8 May 2021
9.30 am to 4.00 pm
21 Chief Street, Brompton
(meet at Chief Street entrance gate)
Parking is available at these nearby locations:
- Entertainment Centre, Port Road, Hindmarsh
- Plant 4, Third Street, Brompton
- Chief Street, Brompton.
This program has been subsidised by Renewal SA’s Works Program.