The state government has today unveiled a detailed blueprint to guide the revival of Port Adelaide over the next 20 years with more people, new homes and more jobs.
Housing and Urban Development Minister Tom Koutsantonis said the Port Adelaide Precinct Plan outlines the future vision of the area that will encourage more people to live, work, invest and spend time in the Port.
It coincides with proposed planning changes, now out for consultation, which are the first step towards rezoning the Port to allow for future development.
The government has released a Development Plan Amendment (DPA) for the Port Adelaide Regional Zone, which includes new maximum building heights of between three and five storeys, down from up to 12 storeys that were slated under previous plans.
“The Port has always had the potential to be somewhere special, but real plans were needed to bring the Port alive,” Mr Koutsantonis said.
“This precinct plan and DPA are the next steps in our economic and cultural renewal of the Port.
“In line with proposed planning changes, it ensures we have a clear 20-year vision that brings together the Port’s maritime past and future, its attractiveness as a tourism destination and its desirability as a place to live, not just visit.“
It follows on from our recently released Our Port policy, which detailed a series of initiatives to revive the Port, including moving the operations of fertiliser store Incitec Pivot out of Port Adelaide to a new South Australian facility, opening the doors for further development.
“As of last week, the company ceased storing materials that had precluded such development.”
Under the precinct plan, ten sub-precincts have been identified within the Port, along with their potential to become a space for retail, tourism and hospitality, or residential, mixed-use, commercial or industrial developments. Maritime activities, such as locations for sail making, a boat yard and the showcasing of heritage vessels are a consistent theme for the inner harbour.
Over the next two decades, the plan will:
- Create at least 2,000 new homes
- Bring an extra 4,000 – 8,000 people to the Port
- Create between 1,500 – 2,000 permanent jobs
- Create 1,000 – 1,500 construction jobs
- Generate $1 billion – $2 billion in investment
The plan builds on $7.2 million of projects completed or underway to rejuvenate the Port’s town centre and waterfront, including a $2 million landscaping project at Hart’s Mill. A further $1.4 million has also been committed by the state government for additional projects.
The precinct plan was prepared in consultation with key stakeholders, including the Port Adelaide Renewal Steering Committee and the City of Port Adelaide Enfield Council, and guided by community feedback provided in October 2012 at the Community Open Day.
Mr Koutsantonis thanked committee members for their input in the plan and said a community reference group will be established to ensure continued community involvement throughout the process of Port Adelaide renewal.
The community is also encouraged to have its say on the DPA, which is now out for consultation, through written submissions or at a scheduled public meeting.
Written submissions, marked ‘Port Adelaide Centre Renewal DPA’, should be sent to the Presiding Member, DPAC, c/o Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure via:
- Post: GPO Box 1815, Adelaide SA 5001
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 8303 0627
Submissions close at 5.00pm on Tuesday, 18 March 2014.
A public meeting about the DPA will be held at 7.00pm on Tuesday, 8 April 2014 at the Krystal Function Centre, corner of Dale and Church Streets, Port Adelaide.
Planning Minister John Rau said it is the government’s intention to introduce a design review process once the DPA process was completed.
“This process would be similar to that successfully introduced in the city and inner rim for significant projects and would ensure the character of the Port is maintained,” Mr Rau said.